Northeast Knox Utility District is located on the north side of the Holston River, northeast of the corporate boundary of the City of Knoxville. Incorporated in 1955 and in service since 1959, the District has obtained water since its inception from the Holston River at mile 10.5, upstream from Legg Creek. The district's surface water is treated at the filtration plant there, which originally had a capacity of 1.5 million gallons per day. Water was distributed to 100 initial customers over a service area of approximately 40 square miles. Today Northeast Knox Utility District is able to treat 6,912,000 gallons per day with a total service area of 65 square miles.